Rest of World is an international journalism publication dedicated to surfacing and showcasing the surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets. Since launching last year, we have published stories from over 70 countries, anchored by our editors and reporters in Southeast Asia, South Asia, Latin America and Africa. This year, we’re putting together a new dedicated team to focus on Chinese tech companies and their impact across the world.
Rest of World is seeking an experienced and creative Audience Engagement Editor based in Asia to amplify our journalism, to deepen engagement among our existing audience, and to help us find new readership in Asia and beyond.
The right person for this role appreciates the art and science of reaching, engaging, and building loyalty among a truly global audience. You know the uses and idiosyncrasies of each of the key social platforms, and will be enthusiastic about sharing our stories far and wide. You know how to listen for what audiences are discussing across the geographies and subject areas we cover, and how to speak to readers where they are, from curated Twitter Moments to Instagram carousels. You know how to craft moments of curiosity for readers scrolling through their feeds, and what constitutes truly shareable headlines and images (and SEO headlines, too).
This position will report to the Head of Audience and work closely with our team across Asia, South Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
Location: Hong Kong, Taipei, or New Delhi
- Create social messaging for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram
- Work closely with the editorial team
- Test engagement strategies and apply learnings
- Ideate on ways to spark conversation with our audience and to foster UGC
- Track search terms and work to optimize our SEO copy
- Design and optimize content for social
- Monitor trends, mentions, and conversations among competitors, allies, and followers
- 4+ years experience working on social media and audience engagement for a media organization required
- Ability to work in a fast-paced news environment
- Knowledge of social trends relevant to Asia, Middle East, and Africa coverage
- Fluent use of Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Reddit, as well as a proven track record of scaling those platforms
- Excellent social copy and headline-writing skills
- Familiarity with social scheduling and analytics tools, like Sprout and Crowdtangle
- Fluency in Google Analytics as well as Twitter and Facebook analytics
- Ability to read and write Chinese (simplified) is a plus
- Strong visual editing skills are a plus
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Audience Engagement Editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please create social headlines and share copy for Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook for 3 international tech articles from any publication and 3 Rest of World articles of your choice (6 total). Please also provide two references for us to contact.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits and paid time-off
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color, or disability.