Rest of World is a non-profit international newsroom that challenges expectations about whose experiences with technology matter. We connect dots across a rapidly evolving digital world, through on-the-ground reporting in places typically overlooked and underestimated.
Since launching in 2020, we’ve published more than 1,000 stories from nearly 100 countries outside the West. Our work explores the spaces where tech, business, culture and human experience collide, through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design.
Our journalism ranges from deep authoritative reporting to highlighting the surprising online cultural phenomenons. We’ve covered everything from gig workers, internet shutdowns and supply chain abuses to livestreaming battles, disappeared influencers and unexpected crypto contagion. Our reporting has won recognition in the U.S. and internationally, and our work has prompted companies and policymakers to take action.
To drive our next phase of growth, we are looking to hire an experienced Chief Development Officer. This is a new role at Rest of World, designed to expand our potential impact and support our long term goals as an organization. This is a key executive function, reporting to the CEO and working closely across the publication’s leadership and our global team.
The right candidate will be a confident, collaborative and proactive leader, with excellent communication skills and a demonstrated ability to develop & execute on sophisticated development strategies. Because this is our first year of fundraising, the Chief Development Officer will play a critical leadership role in defining our approach to sustainable growth as a nonprofit, as well as building the core infrastructure & institutional strategic analysis from the ground up. We expect to grow the Development team over time so this role will ultimately manage others.
This role is an opportunity for the right candidate to bring their development expertise & desire to build something new to an innovative global news organization at a pivotal time in our growth. We believe the story of technology is as big as the world that’s using it. Our Chief Development Officer will lead our effort to tell Rest of World’s story to new audiences across philanthropy, institutions and other supporters, enabling our organization to aim for even greater impact worldwide.
- Design & execute a comprehensive multi-year fundraising strategy for Rest of World, including setting annual targets, identifying grant opportunities and managing budgets
- Expand and manage our portfolio of institutional and individual philanthropic donors, both in the US and abroad
- Build an effective strategy to maintain relationships with donors, including key figures with ability to donate large gifts, through tailored outreach and regular communication
- Manage internal reporting processes around progress, including KPIs and campaign effectiveness
- Oversee grant proposals, foundation reports and other deliverables to our partners
- Identify opportunities for new donor outreach and possible giving campaigns, thinking creatively and with sound judgment
- Help to create our first advisory board
- Represent Rest of World at conferences and other industry events
- Plan and lead donor-related events throughout the year
- 7-10 years in a fundraising or development role; experience with nonprofit media is a plus
- A track record of successful fundraising campaigns, knowledge of grant writing & research
- Superior written & verbal communication skills, a sharp strategic thinker
- A motivated self-starter and lifelong learner, someone who likes to roll up their sleeves in a dynamic startup environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to interact effectively with internal and external stakeholders and build sustainable long term relationships
- Ability to design & deliver on complex strategies, while juggling deadlines and operating at a fast pace
- A deep appreciation for journalism and its role in society, especially international stories
- Familiarity with CRM management
- Naturally collaborative, work well independently but also enjoys working with colleagues in different disciplines across regions, languages and time zones
- An intuitive understanding of our mission and the forms of impact we care about
This role can be based anywhere in the United States – with a willingness to travel regularly to our NYC HQ – and candidates must be eligible to work in the US.
The expected salary range for this position is $190,000 – $240,000.
Please note, the salary range is an estimate of what we expect to pay for this role. The final compensation package will factor in the individual’s accomplishments, previous experience and location.
To apply, please send a CV/resumé and a short cover letter to email@example.com with “Chief Development Officer” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please make sure to elaborate on any relevant experience mentioned in your CV, and tell us what specifically sets you apart from other candidates. We will be accepting applications until May 31, 2023 at 5pm ET.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- Competitive salary (with a raise, promotion and merit bonus framework based on performance and tenure)
- Vacation (20 days)
- Sick leave (10 days)
- Annual holidays (15 days)
- 401(k) plan (employer matching up to $12,500 per year)
- Flexible Spending Plan (for qualifying medical and dependent care expenses)
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Long-term and short-term disability insurance (employer-paid)
- Life insurance (employer-paid)
- Supplemental benefit schemes for commute, wellness, childcare and cellphone costs
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.