Rest of World is an international journalism publication dedicated to surfacing and showcasing the surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream Western news outlets. Since launching last year, we have published stories from over 70 countries, anchored by our editors and reporters in Southeast Asia, South Asia, Latin America and Africa. This year, we’re putting together a new dedicated team to focus on Chinese tech companies and their impact across the world.
To lead this coverage, Rest of World is looking for a skilled journalist to join us as our China Editor. This editor will help us build and launch our China vertical at the beginning of 2022. We’re looking for someone who is obsessed with China’s tech ecosystem, and can capture the deep, nuanced, and unexpected elements of the country’s tech scene both in China, and how it impacts economies and populations around the world.
The ideal candidate will regularly be able to generate and commission clear-eyed, insightful stories that go beyond the daily headlines. They know the difference between a topic and a story, and have a keen sense of what subject matter will appeal to a global audience. They will manage a team of in-house reporters as well as a pool of contributors in China. They will also work with in-house regional editors to tell stories about the impact of Chinese tech abroad. We’re looking for a well-rounded utility player who combines knowledge of Chinese business and culture with rigorous journalistic standards and a collaborative spirit.
Location for this role is flexible, but should be within the region.
- Working with leadership to conceptualize, develop, and launch Rest of World’s China coverage strategy.
- Managing a two-person reporting team as well as a top-tier stable of freelance reporters in the region to regularly generate quick news pieces, rigorous reports, and ambitious features.
- Collaborating with other regional editors to work on stories about Chinese innovation and businesses in the rest of the world
- Maintaining a solid network with the tech community, entrepreneurs, activists, tech users, and policymakers in the country
- 5+ years experience in journalism or publishing, with at least a few of those in editing
- Advanced Chinese reading (simplified) and speaking (Mandarin) is a must. Ability to translate to and write in Chinese is preferred.
- Flexibility to travel within the region
- Strong network of reporters and sources in business and tech within China
- Experience managing reporters
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
The deadline for applications is October 29, 2021.
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to email@example.com with “China Editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share three stories you’ve edited and describe your role in shaping them. Additionally, please tell us about a recent China story you’ve read and tell us what it got right — or wrong — and how you’d do it differently.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.