Rest of World is an international journalism publication dedicated to surfacing and showcasing the surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets. Since launching last year, we have published stories from over 70 countries, anchored by our editors and reporters in Southeast Asia, South Asia, Latin America and Africa. This year, we’re putting together a new dedicated team to focus on Chinese tech companies and their impact across the world.
We are hiring a reporter to join Rest of World’s China team to cover the intersection of Chinese technology, business and culture. We’re looking for someone who is obsessed with China’s technology ecosystem, including the digital platforms, and is eager to tell ambitious stories.
We’re looking for someone who is open to experimenting on formats, and will jump at the opportunity to write about China’s gamble on semiconductor manufacturing with the same enthusiasm as they will about the latest ab workout fad on Tiktok.
Location for this role is flexible, but should be within the region.
- Pitching, reporting, and writing analytical and deeply reported stories about the tech ecosystem in China
- Developing broader stories that uncover trends across the region
- Collaborating with Rest of World’s reporters in other geographies on inter-regional projects, particularly those with a China connection
- Providing occasional material for the publication’s newsletters, events and special projects
- 3+ years experience reporting in or about China, with a focus on tech or business
- Advanced Chinese reading (simplified) and speaking (Mandarin) is a must. Ability to translate to and write in Chinese is preferred.
- Strong sourcing with the Chinese tech ecosystem and the business community around it
- Understanding of (and command over) Chinese social platforms, with an ability to research how people post and consume information on Chinese-language platforms
- Flexible to travel within the region
- An obsession with technology and uncovering/telling untold stories
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
The deadline for applications is October 29, 2021.
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “China Reporter” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share three stories you’ve reported, describe how you sourced each story and tell us what you’d do differently this time. Also share an idea on Chinese tech, in less than 50 words, you’d like to report on for Rest of World.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.