Rest of World is an international journalism publication focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream global news outlets.
Since launching in 2020, Rest of World has published stories from over 80 countries, anchored by our editors and reporters based in Asia, Europe, Latin America and Africa. Our stories explore the spaces where tech, business, culture, and human experience collide through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for an experienced copy editor to lead the copy editing efforts for the publication. The copy editor will read for style and identify weaknesses that may have been overlooked in initial edits, such as grammatical and style errors, lack of clarity, and context. The candidate should be familiar with digital publishing. The copy editor should be able to work through the production process and not only support but also improve the flow and quality of our work.
This is a full-time position and we will prioritize applicants in the U.K., Hong Kong, and India.
- Copy editing short pieces, mid-length stories, newsletters, and longform features, among other internal copy needs
- Proofreading graphics, captions and suggesting headlines and other display copy
- Coordinating with editors, reporters on their planned production schedule
- Perusing most recently published stories to ensure headlines and blurbs for article pages and social platforms are free from inaccuracies
- Maintaining and updating our house style guide and making recommendations on style
- An expert command of grammar and AP Style
- Experience editing for U.S. publications and/or in U.S. style
- A willingness to work with both editors and reporters of varied skill levels and in different timezones
- Ability to manage multiple assignments on a weekly publishing schedule; we appreciate thoroughness, but also admire occasional willingness to take calculated risks
- Fluency working on Google Docs, WordPress, and other online editing and publishing tools
To apply, please send a one-page resume, a cover letter detailing your skills and experience to email@example.com with “Copy Editor” in the subject line.
The deadline for applications is June 10.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- Competitive salary (with a raise, promotion and merit bonus framework based on performance and tenure)
- Vacation (20 days)
- Sick leave (10 days)
- Annual holidays (15 days)
- 401(k) plan (employer matching up to $12,500 per year)
- Flexible Spending Plan (for qualifying medical and dependent care expenses)
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Long-term and short-term disability insurance (employer-paid)
- Life insurance (employer-paid)
- Supplemental benefit schemes for commute, wellness, childcare and cellphone costs
For roles based outside the United States, Rest of World strives for parity with U.S benefit offerings, subject to local regulations and restrictions. Rest of World also offers non-U.S.-based employees further supplemental benefit schemes including a coworking allowance and a home office/connectivity allowance.
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.