We’re a new international journalism newsroom, launching Q1 2020, that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication will explore the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
To build out our vision, we are seeking a curious and motivated Editor.
The ideal candidate will be someone who is deeply curious about the world, is tenacious and thorough in their approach to uncovering a good story or telling detail, and thrives in a highly collaborative startup environment. The Editor will be tasked with assigning and editing stories, including shorter pieces, enterprise and features, while helping to manage our growing staff.
This is a role that will require skill, rigor and style; it’s a great job for an editor looking to tell stories that no one else is publishing, with a taste for the unusual and extraordinary. The editor will be one of the key creative voices in our newsroom, helping us establish our voice, tone and create recurring formats for our publication.
This role is based in our NYC office.
- Conceiving and developing story ideas for assignment
- Assigning and editing stories about global technology issues outside of the Western world
- Helping to manage freelance and staff writers in our newsroom
- Recruiting new writers across the globe
- Leading our creative development and story development process
- 3+ years editing experience is preferred. We will also consider candidates with standout reporting experience who are looking to move into editing
- Experience editing international news, business or tech coverage preferred. Magazine experience is a plus.
- Some experience managing journalists is preferred
- Established relationships with writers, particularly international journalists, is preferred
- A serious love of great ideas, narrative and stunning story execution
- A strong BS detector and an aversion to cultural cliches
- A champion for original writing and writers’ unique voices
- Curiosity about international stories and/or the use of technology abroad is a plus
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please share three stories you’ve edited, describe your role in shaping them and tell us what you’d do differently this time. Please be specific.