Rest of World is an international journalism publication focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream global news outlets.
Since launching in 2020, Rest of World has published stories from over 80 countries, anchored by our editors and reporters based in Asia, Europe, Latin America and Africa. Our stories explore the spaces where tech, business, culture, and human experience collide through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for an experienced fact checker who is able to fact check several stories weekly, on pieces with word counts ranging from 1,000 to 2,500 words. You’ll also be responsible for fact checking at least one longform feature per month and supporting our fact checking of enterprise pieces, which are scheduled to publish quarterly.
Fact checkers will be paid $30/hour. This is a part-time contract role, and contractors can expect 15-25 hours of work per week on average.
- We are a small team working for a site that publishes roughly a dozen stories per week, so a commitment to deadlines is a must, as is the ability to communicate with editors
- At least 2-3 years of experience fact checking for a digital, print or magazine publication preferred
- A curiosity to go beyond a Google search, and a willingness to pick up a phone, call sources, and ask questions
- An openness to collaboration within the fact-checking department, as what we do thrives when it isn’t siloed and is rather a collaborative process
- An understanding of how to use various research tools, such as LexisNexis and Pacer
- A familiarity with fact checking litigious features, and the ability to advise editors and writers on how to properly re-frame the content for publication, which includes suggesting suitable edits.
To apply, please send a one-page resume, and a cover letter detailing your skills and experience to Matt Giles at firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Fact Checker (Contract)” in the subject line.
The last day to submit your application is June 10, 2022. We would like to onboard the successful applicant to our team by June 30.