Rest of World is a new international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Since launching last year, Rest of World has published stories from over 50 countries. Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication explores the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for an enterprising and experienced editor to join us as Features Director to oversee and manage our feature-length stories and guide our longform reportage. The ideal candidate will be able to work with in-house and freelance reporters from around the world to find and assign some of the publication’s most ambitious work. Experience in crafting compelling narrative features, identifying colorful characters, knowing how to secure access, navigating sensitive subject matter, and the ability to structure a story for impact is a must. A track record of shepherding investigative features is a plus. The editor will have an acute curiosity about technology, social media platforms, startup ecosystems, e-commerce, the gig economy, and the people involved.
We’re looking for an editor who will bring with them a strong roster of writers across styles, and has experience adapting stories for interactive and immersive formats.
This role will report to the deputy editor. The location is flexible.
- Generating ideas for ambitious features
- Managing, recruiting and editing the work of contributors across regions
- Build a pipeline of feature stories that fit Rest of World’s themes, working closely with regional editors to ensure a steady publishing cadence.
- Coordinate with contributors, our photo editor and product/projects team to make sure stories are visually rich and immersive
- Propose innovative visual and digital treatment for stories and data sets
- Join the publication’s editorial leadership to help guide Rest of World’s priorities and editorial focus
- 7+ years experience in editing, at least half of those editing feature-length and longform stories
- Experience covering or editing business or tech preferred
- A track record of producing feature-style longform stories, company and individual profiles, and investigations
- Ability to think beyond text-driven stories
- A strong work ethic, flexibility with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
The deadline for applications is July 9, 2021.
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to email@example.com with “Features Director” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share two stories you’ve edited, describing your role in shaping them. We’d also like you to share another story, a feature-length piece published by Rest of World, and tell us what worked, what didn’t, and how you’d do it differently.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- A competitive compensation package
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.