Rest of World is a new international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Since launching last year, Rest of World has published stories from over 70 countries. Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication explores the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for an experienced candidate to join us as Managing Editor in order to help build and maintain exacting editorial standards, facilitate cross-department initiatives and collaboration, oversee our publishing process and schedule, and manage two reporters. This is a leadership role, and our Managing Editor will be central to how we function as a global publication on a daily basis, and how we grow in the future. Experience in project and personnel management and a dedication to process, organization, and order is a must. The right candidate does not need to have a tech journalism background, but will be innately curious about technology, social media platforms, startup ecosystems, e-commerce, and the gig economy, and how those forces shape the world.
This New York City-based role will report to the Executive Editor.
- Setting editorial standards and providing leadership to editors across a global newsroom
- Overseeing the publication’s daily output and maintaining standards
- Creating and honing our processes and workflows
- Acting as the central hub of the organization, and working with Deputy Editors to coordinate between the editorial, art, social, copy-edit, and fact-checking departments
- Running weekly editorial and process-oriented meetings
- Working with leadership to develop rubrics for success
- Managing the publication’s copy-editing operation and fact-checking internship program
- 3+ years experience in editorial management within a newsroom.
- Proven ability to coordinate expansive projects between numerous stakeholders.
- Confidence in leading teams and company-wide initiatives.
- Interest in the impact of tech and business on populations around the world
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to email@example.com with “Managing Editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please describe your relevant experience and how that qualifies you for this role.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.