Rest of World is an international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream global news outlets.
Since launching in 2020, Rest of World has published stories from over 90 countries. Our stories explore the spaces where tech, business, culture, and human experience collide, through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for a newsletter strategist, writer, and overall expert to join us as our first Newsletter Editor. The editor will manage our diverse and growing roster of newsletters — one of the most powerful tools we have to directly reach and engage with our audience — and be the lead on envisioning new newsletter ideas while keeping existing ones fresh and compelling for our subscribers. We’re looking for someone who is confident and comfortable in the newsletter arena, and can craft our newsletter experience — from promotions to sign-up pages to the inbox experience — to the highest standards.
What you’ll do:
- Take the lead in editing and producing our flagship and regional newsletters, working across multiple teams involved in the design, product development, and editorial content of each
- Ensure we have the most fascinating material for various sections of the newsletters, and rigorously track how that material performs and where we can improve
- Write amazing headlines, subject lines, preview text, and be able to always create quick messages that pack a punch
- Build our newsletter audience by formulating a strategy for initiatives like newsletter swaps, reengagement campaigns, lead generation campaigns, paid subscriber-netting efforts, testing, and more techniques to grab and retain the best readers we can find
- Monitor and clean our lists of subscribers on a regular basis
- Stay on top of newsletter metrics and be able to present analysis to various teams on how we’re doing, where we can improve, and how we can test and measure our impact and engagement
- Advise the newsroom on newsletter best practices and take the lead in implementing them across our products. You will be our go-to expert on the evolving world of newsletters and how we fit in
- Work with optimization and audience editors to promote the newsletter in innovative ways across the site, social channels, and off-platform
- Liaise with the product team to ensure we have the right tools to implement our newsletter engagement and growth strategy
- Cultivate a community of readers by brainstorming and executing ideas for engagement, new newsletter versions, and smart integrations with our editorial output
What you’ll bring:
- At least 5 years of journalism experience, with at least 2 years working on newsletter products in some capacity
- A desire to create and manage vibrant, engaging newsletters that represent Rest of World’s values
- Amazing writing skills (headlines especially), and solid copy editing chops
- Comfort diving into data analytics projects with the aim of finding actionable intel we can use to improve our work, and experience with newsletter analytics
- Familiarity with how newsletter services work and how to get the most out of the tools these services offer
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with diverse stakeholders (often in different time zones) and keep everything running on time and with efficiency
This role will report to Rest of World’s Head of Audience. The salary range is $75K to $90K, commensurate with experience. The location for this position is flexible.
The deadline for applications is October 31, 2022.
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Newsletter Editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share your experience with newsletters and your approach to strategizing optimal newsletter products. In addition, take a look at our newsletters and tell us what worked, what didn’t, and what you’d do differently.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what U.S.-based employees can expect when they join us:
- Competitive salary (with a raise, promotion and merit bonus framework based on performance and tenure)
- Vacation (20 days)
- Sick leave (10 days)
- Annual holidays (15 days)
- 401(k) plan (employer matching up to $12,500 per year)
- Flexible Spending Plan (for qualifying medical and dependent care expenses)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Long-term and short-term disability insurance (employer-paid)
- Life insurance (employer-paid)
- Supplemental benefit schemes for commute, wellness, childcare, and cell phone costs
For roles based outside the United States, Rest of World strives for parity with U.S. benefit offerings, subject to local regulations and restrictions. Rest of World also offers non-U.S.-based employees further supplemental benefit schemes, including a coworking allowance and a home office/connectivity allowance.
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.