Rest of World is an international journalism publication focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Since launching last year, Rest of World has published stories from over 70 countries. Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication explores the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for a motivated candidate to join us as an Operations Associate to support the growth of our publication. This person will wear the many hats required by someone in an operations role, and can expect to have access and impact across the organization.
The right candidate will be a lover of process and systems, unafraid to roll up their sleeves and jump in, no matter the task. An interest in the complex mechanics of international journalism is a plus, but not required for this role. This is a dynamic position within a fast-changing organization, so no two days will ever be the same. The Operations Associate will be dedicated to efficiency and detail-oriented solutions, someone who will relish the opportunity to be part of a creative and mission-driven enterprise doing meaningful work. To be clear: this is an operations role, not editorial.
There is no requirement for a technology or journalism background, but the right person will be innately curious about technology, international affairs, social media platforms, startup ecosystems, e-commerce, and the gig economy, and how those forces shape the world.
This New York City-based role will report to the Chief of Staff.
- Contract, invoice and expense management
- Data-driven insights tracking and reporting
- Coordination of Rest of World’s freelancer network
- Supporting team expansion with open roles all over the world
- Operations management of NYC HQ
- “Finger-on-the-pulse” of Rest of World’s global operation
- Undergraduate degree and 3+ years of work experience required; master’s or other advanced degree is a plus
- Proficiency in Google Workspace is a must; familiarity with a range of project management, CRM, and accounting software is preferred
- Experience designing systems and implementing efficiency-improving initiatives
- Proven ability to coordinate projects between numerous stakeholders
- Experience living or working internationally, as well as knowledge of non-English languages, is not required but a plus
- Demonstrated organizational capacity with an easy-to-spot “can-do” attitude
- A curious, collaborative and communicative professional style
The deadline for applications is October 8, 2021.
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations Associate” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please describe your relevant experience and how that qualifies you for this role.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.