Rest of World is a new international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Since launching last year, Rest of World has published stories from over 70 countries. Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication explores the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for an enterprising and experienced regional editor to lead our coverage from South Asia. The ideal candidate will be someone with experience editing business and tech stories from/in the region, and has a talent for developing sources, in journalism, business and technology space.
We are looking for an editor who is deeply curious about the world, tenacious and thorough in their approach to uncovering a good story or telling detail, and someone who can manage a group of local contributors. This role will be the creative engine for determining how we cover countries in South Asia and will be tasked with a mix of editing, reporting and collaborating with editors in Hong Kong, London and New York. We’re looking for a well-rounded utility player who combines rigorous editing skills with a passion for exploring cultures and change.
Location: Preferred in New Delhi or Bangalore
- Pitching, reporting and editing stories about global technology issues in South Asia. The particular mix of these tasks are dependent on the editor’s skill set and interests.
- Generating ideas for ambitious stories and helping us pull them off, either as a writer or editor
- Managing, recruiting and editing the work of contributors across South Asia
- Making regular contact with the tech community, entrepreneurs, activists, tech users and policymakers in the region
- 6+ years experience in journalism or publishing, with at least 3+ years in editing
- Fluency in English is required. Language skills that allow working with local reporters are a major plus
- Willingness to travel within the region
- Experience reporting on business or tech preferred
- A serious desire to bring new information into the world and an obsession with telling great stories
- Experience managing journalists is preferred
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
The deadline for applications is July 9, 2021.
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “South Asia editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share three stories you’ve edited, describe your role in shaping them and tell us what you’d do differently this time.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- A competitive compensation package
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.