Rest of World is an international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream global news outlets.
Since launching last year, Rest of World has published stories from over 70 countries. Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our stories explore the spaces where tech, business, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for an energetic and enterprising reporter to join our team to help cover the impact of technology across Southeast Asia. The role would be based in a commercial hub in Southeast Asia and will report to our Asia editor.
- Pitching, reporting, and writing analytical stories about the tech ecosystem in Southeast Asia’s key cities, with a particular focus on Jakarta and Indonesia
- Developing broader pieces that uncover tech-related trends across the region; collaborating with RoW reporters in other geographies on inter-regional projects
- Providing occasional material for the publication’s newsletters, events and special projects
- 3+ years experience in journalism or publishing in the region, ideally in business or tech coverage; comfortable with news and longer formats
- Strong familiarity with the local tech ecosystem and the business community around it
- A serious desire to bring new information into the world and an obsession with telling great stories; talent for collaboration and interest in novel formats a plus
- First- or second-language skills beyond English a major plus
- A strong work ethic, proactive and motivated; comfortable with the pace and atmosphere of startup conditions
To apply, please send a CV/resumé and a short cover letter to email@example.com with “Southeast Asia reporter” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share three stories you’ve reported, describe how you sourced each story and tell us what you’d do differently this time. Also share an idea in 30-40 words you’d like to report on for Rest of World.
The deadline for the application is August 20, 2021.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.