Rest of World is an international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream global news outlets.
Since launching two years ago, Rest of World has published award-winning pieces from over 80 countries. Our stories explore the spaces where tech, business, culture, and human experience collide through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
We are looking for an experienced editor who has solid sourcing in Silicon Valley to join us as U.S. Tech Editor. This role will oversee coverage of how U.S.-based tech companies operate outside of the West. This means developing reporting strategies for how companies like Google, Meta, and Apple collide with regional cultures and ecosystems and how leading tech companies and investment firms are thinking about Rest of World regions when building or marketing their products and platforms.
This is a high-profile position that serves as the publication’s ambassador to Silicon Valley, helping build sources in the industry, including tech company executives, employee sources, and investors. The editor will help brainstorm ideas for events featuring key issues and personalities in the Valley, potentially launch a newsletter, participate in panels and Q&As, and propose projects that will enhance our readers’ understanding of the most fascinating trends, platforms, companies and people in the region.
- Commission, edit, and occasionally report on how U.S.-based tech companies operate outside the West
- Work alongside regional editors to commission and coordinate global stories tied to trends and significant news events
- Manage the publication’s globally-focused U.S.-based reporters, and guide them on crypto, gig work, misinformation, and digital culture coverage
- Collaborate with the features desk to brainstorm and launch ambitious big swings that involve U.S.-based Big Tech companies
- Act as primary point of contact for major tech companies including Google, Amazon, TikTok, Meta, and Twitter
- Launch an industry-leading newsletter that shines a light on how U.S.-based tech firms operate globally
- Build strategic in-person connections within Silicon Valley to promote our work and build the publication’s coverage and sourcing
- At least 6 years experience in editing and reporting or both
- Proven experience shaping ambitious tech or business coverage
- Strong editing skills that turn rough copy into accessible, masterful stories
- A serious desire and willingness to collaborate with on-the-ground journalists and editors around the world
- A track record of successfully working with colleagues and teams and leading up complicated projects with multiple stakeholders
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Prior experience managing reporters is preferred
The deadline for applications is August 31, 2022.
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “US Tech Editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share three stories you’ve edited, describe your role in shaping them and tell us what you’d do differently this time.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what U.S.-based employees can expect when they join us:
- Competitive salary (with a raise, promotion and merit bonus framework based on performance and tenure)
- Vacation (20 days)
- Sick leave (10 days)
- Annual holidays (15 days)
- 401(k) plan (employer matching up to $12,500 per year)
- Flexible Spending Plan (for qualifying medical and dependent care expenses)
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Long-term and short-term disability insurance (employer-paid)
- Life insurance (employer-paid)
- Supplemental benefit schemes for commute, wellness, childcare and cell phone costs
For roles based outside the United States, Rest of World strives for parity with U.S benefit offerings, subject to local regulations and restrictions. Rest of World also offers non-U.S.-based employees further supplemental benefit schemes including a coworking allowance and a home office/connectivity allowance.
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.