Rest of World is a new international publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication explores the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for an enthusiastic, organized and detail-obsessed editorial assistant to support our growing team. The ideal candidate will play a key role in ensuring the operational efficiency and professionalism of our new publication, and will be responsible for monitoring and responding to external inquiries about the publication.
The successful candidate will be process-oriented and excited by the prospect of conquering the many small tasks that a growing organization needs to tackle daily in order to run smoothly. They must have at least three years of admin experience, as well as an ability to work well as part of a team while thriving in a highly collaborative startup environment. Strong candidates will also have a track record of managing multiple work streams simultaneously, coordinating many moving parts across time zones and geographies. Previous experience at journalism organizations is a plus.
- Maintain and update a suite of critical shared documents to track editorial workflow and to ensure timely and accurate social posting
- Handle scheduling of social posts via Echobox and other posting tools, as well as recirculation of old posts
- Assist with newsletter A/B testing as well as monitoring smooth functioning of re-engagement campaigns
- Research promising social accounts, publications, forums and groups for both upcoming stories and for Rest of World’s corporate accounts more generally
- Perform light community engagement
- Maintain a database that tracks diversity of contributors, sources and locations for our stories
- Monitor inbound pitches daily; create and oversee a system for weekly review
- Communicate with writers and designers that we are interested in working with
- Act as an administrative point of contact for fact-checkers, translators and copy-editors
- Monitor email aliases and compile inbound inquiries, job applications and interview/PR requests
- Take notes during weekly editorial meetings and disseminate to relevant parties
- At least 3 years of admin experience, in journalism preferred
- Experience handling social media accounts; ability to write clean social copy a plus
- A love of process and a passion for organization
- An effective communicator who responds quickly and understands outreach prioritization
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
- Curiosity about international stories and/or the use of technology abroad is a plus
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to email@example.com with “editorial assistant” in the subject line.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.