Rest of World is a new international publication focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets. Through compelling storytelling and innovative design, we explore the spaces where tech, culture, and human experience collide.
Rest of World is looking for an enthusiastic, organized, and detail-obsessed editorial intern to join our team in the fall. The ideal candidate will be someone with a deep curiosity about the world, tenacious and thorough in their approach to finding good stories, and thrives in a highly collaborative startup environment. The intern should be able to adapt to any task or challenge thrown their way. We’re looking for a well-rounded utility player who combines reporting, research, and organizational skills with a passion for exploring new avenues to tell stories.
The intern will report to the Executive Editor.
This role is part-time and can be based anywhere in the United States (international students are welcome to apply), but please note that you will be asked to be available at some hours that coincide with the editorial team in New York. This is a paid internship; it begins on September 15 and ends on December 15.
- Lead and organize outreach for front-of-book experiments
- Curate and organize story elements for pieces running in the future, including a series of front-of-book projects published on Rest of World
- Assisting with production tasks in the CMS ahead of week’s publication schedule
- Find and flag previously published stories for recirculation within stories and on social platforms
- Research on international tech and culture to develop story ideas, chase down leads and tips, and write your own stories for publication
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in a degree program
- First- or second-language skills beyond English are a major plus
- At least one prior internship at a news organization or a journalism startup, preferably covering tech, business, or international reporting
- Have at least 3-5 published articles in any format (self-published pieces don’t count)
- Strong research skills, especially across different regions, cultures, and languages
- Solid grammar and organizational skills
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
In lieu of a cover letter, please write a few paragraphs in an email introducing yourself, why you want to become a journalist, and what about the work we’re doing at Rest of World appeals to you. Please attach a one-page resume to your email, include links to your published work, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Editorial Internship” in the subject line.
The deadline for the application is August 25, 2020.
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.