Rest of World is a new international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication will explore the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for a talented and creative front-end developer. You will have the opportunity to work on the first iteration of our digital presence, from newsletters and editorial interfaces to the website and off-platform avenues that will reach our readers around the world.
We’re building a rich journalism experience online, with a strong foundation based on exceptional performance, elevation of functionality over form, and accessibility for a diverse global audience. The ideal candidate will help enhance our storytelling through creative uses of code on both a site and story basis. As we grow, there will be an opportunity to grow with us and develop products within our core journalism offerings and beyond.
This role is based in our NYC office and is WFH to start.
- Help create an immersive reading experience and build our interactive media presence across a variety of platforms
- Ensure high-quality code implementation and brand consistency
- Build high-quality mockups and prototypes
- Provide guidance on solutions, code, and development
- Join a dynamic and collaborative team that spans engineering, design, and product
- Work at the earliest stages of a mission-driven journalism initiative
- Collaborate with editorial and advocate for the reader
- A passion for modern front-end technologies (HTML, CSS, JS) but not
- Practical experience in WordPress; themes, templates, and plugin development
- Experience with web page performance, accessibility, and responsive user experiences
- An enthusiasm on subjects that might include typography, lazy-loading, privacy, caching, to obscure CSS selectors
- An appreciation of the balance between strong convictions and pragmatic engineering
- Background in versioning tools such as git and deployment methods
- Excellent communication, documentation, and commenting skills
- Curiosity about international affairs and/or the use of technology abroad a plus
- A strong work ethic, comfort with and an ability to be effective in fast-changing startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
Not sure you have the exact experience or background? You should apply if working in web development and journalism appeals to you.
Read over the description one more time and ask if this is a role and organization that appeals to you and your career path, and then by email provide:
- Your name and the text “Front-end Developer” as the Subject
- Attach a resume and a short informal introduction
- Send it to email@example.com
If you have concerns that your resume may not adequately reflect your experience and background, or there is additional context that can’t be captured in a resume format; we welcome longer explanations in the email.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.