Rest of World is a new international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication explores the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for an energetic, enterprising and experienced regional editor to lead our coverage from Latin America. The ideal candidate will be someone who has significant experience reporting in or editing stories from Latin America, with some history covering technology and business in the region.
We are looking for an editor who can manage a group of local contributors, commission and edit a broad mix of stories, and develop ideas to build our pool of stories. This role will be the creative engine for determining how we cover stories from a vast geography—from Mexico to Brazil to Chile—and will be tasked with a mix of editing, reporting and collaborating with our NYC office.
Location: Flexible within region, preferably a hub city like Mexico City, São Paulo or Buenos Aires
- Pitching, reporting and editing stories about global technology issues in Latin America. The particular mix of these tasks are dependent on the editor’s skill set and interests.
- Generating ideas for ambitious features and helping us pull them off, either as a writer or editor
- Managing, recruiting and editing the work of contributors across the region
- Making regular contact with the tech community, entrepreneurs, activists, tech users and policymakers in the region
- 6+ years experience in journalism or publishing, with at least 3+ years in editing
- Fluency in Spanish is required, ability to speak Portuguese is a plus
- Willingness to travel within the region
- Experience reporting on business or tech preferred
- Experience managing journalists
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Latin America editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share three stories you’ve edited, describe your role in shaping them and tell us what you’d do differently this time.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.