Rest of World is a new international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication explores the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for an energetic, enterprising and experienced regional editor to lead our coverage from the Middle East & North Africa. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned editor who understands how people are using technology in the region, has a talent for developing sources in journalism, business and technology space, and possess an ability to conceptualize broader stories for Rest of World.
We are looking for an editor who can uncover a good story or telling detail in how people in the region are using technology, or how a panoply of regional/global tech giants are innovating to appeal to a niche group of users. This role will be the creative engine for determining how we cover the Middle East and North Africa, and will brainstorm and assign stories, collaborating with our editors in South Asia, Africa and New York. We’re looking for a well-rounded utility player who combines rigorous reporting and editing skills with a passion for exploring cultures and change.
Location: Flexible within the region, preferably in a hub city like Dubai or Doha.
- Pitching, reporting and editing stories about global technology issues in the Middle East & North Africa. The particular mix of these tasks are dependent on the editor’s skill set and interests.
- Generating ideas for ambitious features and helping us pull them off, either as a writer or editor
- Managing, recruiting and editing the work of contributors across the region
- Making regular contact with the tech community, entrepreneurs, activists, tech users and policymakers in the region
- 6+ years experience in journalism or publishing, with at least 3+ years in editing
- Fluency in Arabic is required, ability to speak Farsi is a plus
- Willingness to travel within the region
- Experience reporting on business or tech preferred
- A serious desire to bring new information into the world and an obsession with telling great stories
- Experience managing journalists is preferred
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “MENA editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share three stories you’ve edited, describe your role in shaping them and tell us what you’d do differently this time.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.