Rest of World is a new international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication explores the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for a multitalented senior editor to help conceive and edit stories from around the world on how technology is affecting the lives of people. The ideal candidate should demonstrate a strong ability to identify and sharpen ideas for stories from around the world, working together with our reporter-researchers and regional editors.
The senior editor will also be responsible for working closely with the managing editor, helping keep track of the status of stories as they move from editing to production.
- Conceiving and developing story ideas for assignment
- Assigning and editing stories about global technology issues in the non-Western world
- Writing engaging headlines and descriptions for stories ahead of publication
- Constantly recruiting new writers across the globe
- Working with product team to produce and brainstorm ideas for story layout
- Assisting in our creative development and story development process
- 3+ years editing experience is preferred. We will also consider candidates with standout reporting experience who are looking to move into editing
- Experience in technology or business journalism
- Experience editing international news or have a solid understanding of coverage
- A serious love of great ideas, narrative and stunning story execution
- A strong BS detector and an aversion to cultural cliches
- A champion for original writing and writers’ unique voices
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “senior editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share three stories you read recently that you liked, and tell us what you would change in the final edits.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.