Rest of World is a new international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication explores the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for a skilled technology & business editor to help conceive and edit stories from around the world on how technology is shaping people’s lives. Our stories cover everything from entrepreneurs and big tech platforms to applications of AI, digital security, connectivity & telecoms.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate a strong ability to identify and sharpen ideas for stories that dive deep into how technology moves through the world, working together with our reporter-researchers and regional editors. This editor will also work closely with the editorial leadership to guide reporting, anticipate big opportunities and develop our global network of technology & business contributors.
- Conceiving and developing story ideas for assignment about global technology issues in the non-Western world
- Generating ideas for ambitious features, including major profiles, data journalism and investigative pieces, and helping us pull them off
- Managing, recruiting and editing the work of contributors from around the world
- Making regular contact with the tech community, entrepreneurs, business leaders and tech users, together with Regional Editors
- Constantly recruiting new writers across the globe
- Working with product team to produce and brainstorm ideas for creative story layouts
- 6+ years experience in journalism or publishing, with at least 3+ years in editing
- Experience editing business or technology news; international business or tech perspective a huge plus
- A serious love of great ideas, narrative and stunning story execution
- A strong BS detector and an aversion to cultural cliches
- A serious desire to bring new information into the world and an obsession with telling great stories
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Tech & Business Editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share three stories you read recently that you liked, and tell us what you would change in the final edits.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.