Rest of World is looking for a skilled technology editor to help conceive and edit stories from around the world on how technology is shaping people’s lives. Our stories cover everything from entrepreneurs and big tech platforms to applications of AI, digital security, connectivity & telecoms.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate a strong ability to identify and sharpen ideas for stories that dive deep into how technology moves through the world, working together with our reporter-researchers and regional editors. We’re open to a strong writer with a proven track record of quality journalism. This editor will work closely with the editorial leadership to guide reporting, anticipate big opportunities and develop our global network of contributors.
We’re open to candidates based anywhere in the world, but with some international reporting experience and an understanding of key global technology players.
- Conceiving and developing story ideas for assignment about global technology issues in the non-Western world
- Generating ideas for ambitious features, including major profiles, data journalism and investigative pieces, and helping us pull them off
- Writing landmark features on the intersection of business & technology
- Managing, recruiting and editing the work of contributors from around the world
- Making regular contact with the tech community, entrepreneurs, business leaders and tech users, together with Regional Editors
- Working with product team to produce and brainstorm ideas for creative story layouts
- 4-6 years experience in journalism
- Experience editing business or technology news; international business or tech perspective a huge plus
- A serious love of great ideas, narrative and stunning story execution
- A strong BS detector and an aversion to cultural cliches
- A serious desire to bring new information into the world and an obsession with telling great stories
- A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Tech Editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share three stories you read recently that you liked, and tell us what you would change in the final edits.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.