Rest of World is an international journalism publication focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Since launching last year, Rest of World has published over 150 stories from (and on) 51 countries. Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our stories explore the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
To build out our vision, we are seeking a curious and creative visual and user-experience designer, a role in which you will have the opportunity to build on the next iteration of our digital presence: our website, newsletters, to the many off-platform avenues that will reach our readers around the world.
We’ve built a rich journalism experience, with a strong foundation based on exceptional performance, elevating functionality over form, and accessibility for a diverse global audience. The ideal candidate will help elevate our storytelling and establish a visual creative direction that inspires and engages our readers. As we grow, there will be an opportunity to grow with us and shape products within our core journalism offerings and beyond.
This role reports to our Head of Product and is based in New York.
- UX Design: Bring the perspective and practical approaches of interaction design and information architecture.
- Brand and Visual Design: Establish the look and feel for all surfaces and maintain a cohesive visual identity across all touchpoints on-platform and off-platform.
- News Design: Collaborate with editorial partners to create new storytelling experiences that go beyond the bounds of a single-column story.
- A demonstrated understanding of design, usability, user-testing, and research
- Familiarity with template and page layouts as well as interaction methodology
- An affinity for layout, color, typography, and a keen eye for subtle details
- Ability to work across our growing organization to define user needs and develop high-level requirements
- Experience in design iteration — from sketches and mocks to partnering with developers directly in browser
- Attention to detail in vetting out designs in-browser, across devices, and for cross-platform functionality
- The ability to refine ideas and come up with new ones to create a highly designed visual experience
- Ability to communicate ideas and reasoning to non-technical and non-creative audiences
- Excellent communication, documentation, and commenting skills
- Curiosity about international affairs and/or the use of technology abroad a plus
- A motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic, comfortable with—and an ability to be effective in—fast-changing startup conditions
We highly recommend you include links to a portfolio of graphic and digital design work.
Not sure you have the exact experience or background? You should apply if working in web development and journalism appeals to you. We value technical aptitude, design sensibility, and multiple points of view, and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
The position will be based in New York.
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Visual & UX Designer” in the subject line.
If you have concerns that your resume may not adequately reflect your experience and background, or you have additional context that can’t be captured in a resume format, we welcome longer explanations in the email.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.