Rest of World is an international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream global news outlets.
Since launching two years ago, Rest of World has published stories from over 80 countries. Our stories explore the spaces where tech, business, culture, and human experience collide through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
To build out our vision, we are seeking a curious and creative Visual and User-Experience Designer. The role will allow you the opportunity to build the next iteration of our digital presence: our website, newsletters, and the many off-platform avenues that reach our readers around the world.
We’ve built a rich journalism experience, with a strong foundation of exceptional performance, functionality over form, and accessibility for a diverse global audience. The ideal candidate will help elevate our storytelling and establish a visual creative direction that inspires and engages our readers. You’ll work with a small multi-disciplinary team made up of engineering and product folk. As we grow, there will be opportunities to grow with us and shape products within our core journalism offerings and beyond.
This role reports to our Head of Product and is based in New York.
- UX Design: Champion the perspective and practical approaches of interaction design and information architecture.
- Brand and Visual Design: Establish the look and feel for all surfaces and maintain a cohesive visual identity across all touch-points on-platform and off-platform.
- News Design: Collaborate with editorial partners to create new storytelling experiences that go beyond the bounds of a single-column story.
- A demonstrated understanding of design, with a portfolio that shows strong visual design work, conceptual thinking, and a solid understanding of layout and typography.
- Expertise in establishing repeatable art direction and digital design approaches within an established brand system.
- Experience in design iteration — from sketches and mocks to wireframes, and partnering with developers directly at the browser level.
- Attention to detail in vetting out designs in-browser, across devices, and for cross-platform functionality.
- The ability to refine ideas that can start out as wide in scope, and to refine them into achievable and opinionated designs.
- Excellent communication, documentation, and commenting skills – the ability to speak expertly to your own design work and convince others of your reasoning
- A motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic, comfortable with — and an ability to be effective in — fast-changing startup conditions
Applications must include links to a portfolio of digital design work.
Not sure you have the exact experience or background? We value technical aptitude, design sensibility, and multiple points of view, and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
The position will be based in New York. The salary range is $105K to $145K, commensurate with experience.
How to apply
First, read over the description again, and ask if this is a role and organization that appeals to you and your career path.
To apply, please send a resume (PDF preferred) and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Visual & UX Designer” and your name in the subject line. Ensure the cover letter or resume includes a working link to your portfolio.
If you have concerns that your resume may not adequately reflect your experience and background, or you have additional context that can’t be captured in a resume format, we welcome longer explanations in the email.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- Competitive salary (with a raise, promotion and merit bonus framework based on performance and tenure)
- Vacation (20 days)
- Sick leave (10 days)
- Annual holidays (15 days)
- 401(k) plan (employer matching up to $12,500 per year)
- Flexible Spending Plan (for qualifying medical and dependent care expenses)
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Long-term and short-term disability insurance (employer-paid)
- Life insurance (employer-paid)
- Supplemental benefit schemes for commute, wellness, childcare and cell phone costs
For roles based outside the United States, Rest of World strives for parity with U.S benefit offerings, subject to local regulations and restrictions. Rest of World also offers non-U.S.-based employees further supplemental benefit schemes including a co-working allowance and a home office/connectivity allowance.
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.